Pregnancy Chiropractic Care
Women go through a lot during the months of pregnancy. Hormone changes and muscle strain can cause all manner of aches, pains and nausea. In addition, while pregnancy can be a time of great joy and anticipation, it can also be a time of great stress and anxiety. Getting the right kind of healthcare can help alleviate some of the physical symptoms while also reducing stress and anxiety.
Pregnancy and Stressors on the Body
Many of the changes that women experience when pregnant can put stress on the joints and muscles in the body.
- Center of gravity shift. Pregnant women have a center of gravity that's more in front and lower to the ground than women who are not pregnant. This added weight can cause the spine to bend in extreme ways, while also putting strain on the joints.
- Loosening of the ligaments. To prepare for childbirth, the ligaments in the body begin to loosen. Though subtle, these changes can make women feel more uncoordinated and prone to falling.
Chiropractic Care Can Help
Despite the discomfort that pregnancy causes, chiropractic care can positively affect the health and comfort of the mother during pregnancy and during labor, and can increase the chances of completing a natural delivery. In fact, chiropractic care can be used to reduce nausea, relieve back and joint pain and can ensure a shorter, less painful delivery.
The following methods are common chiropractic techniques for treating pregnant women:
- Chiropractic adjustment. Called the Webster technique, the chiropractic adjustment for pregnant women focuses achieving a balanced state in the pelvis to ensure optimal fetal positioning. This is meant to help the baby have a safe delivery and can also prevent unnecessary stress on the uterus and supporting ligaments.
- Exercise. Chiropractors teach pregnant women to do the types of exercises that will help them strengthen their muscles and prevent discomfort during labor.
- Nutritional counseling. During pregnancy, many women must change their eating habits and even their diets to ensure that they're getting the nutrition they need in order to remain healthy. Nutritional counseling services can help pregnant women stay healthy and can ensure that their babies are getting all the nutrition they need.
- Ergonomic advice. Pregnant women need to make changes to their daily habits (like sleeping positions and lifting habits) just to stay comfortable and stop themselves from getting injured. Chiropractors offer advice and talk to women about how they can improve their lives.
For more information about how our chiropractor, Dr. Kurt Michaux, can help you during your pregnancy, make an appointment with Michaux Family Chiropractic, servicing the Four Corners, Clermont, Davenport, Minneola, Windermere and Groveland, FL areas. Contact our office today to make your first appointment at 352-243-7300. During your first consultation, we'll answer any questions you might have and talk to you about how you can benefit from chiropractic care.